Queen Creek was originally known as Rittenhouse, the community growing up out of a railroad stop. In 1919 the Queen Creek Farms Company was formed by C. H. Rittenhouse, constructing that railroad stop to ship the goods from the farm. As for the creek it takes its name from, Queen Creek, flowed through Queen Canyon and was named for the Silver Queen Mine, but it was originally called Picket Post Creek.
The Town of Queen Creek is primarily within Maricopa County, but the Town Limits also extend into Pinal County on the eastern and southern borders. Even further to the east and south of QC Town Limits in Pinal County is the large (est. 87,000 population in 2015) unincorporated community of San Tan Valley.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 25.8 square miles (66.8 km2), all of it land.